Monday, April 5, 2010

Welcome Claire!

We interrupt our regularly scheduled cancer programming to bring you a much, much happier topic. 

On Friday, April 2, at 7:11pm my niece Claire Elizabeth was born!  She is 7lbs, 12oz. and is perfect.  Mother and baby are both doing well!

She was born with hair - the consensus is that porportionally speaking, Claire and I probably have about the same amount of hair.  Although I was looking forward to no longer being the one in the family with the least amount of hair, I've decided not to hold this against her.  It may have been a different story if she was born with more hair than me, though.

As I was picking out the "It's A Girl!" balloon to bring to my sister's hospital room, I asked my Mom if she's going to bring me an "It's A Boob!" balloon when I'm in the hospital for surgery.  I don't think I should hold my breath waiting for that one.  :)

Without further ado, here are some pictures:


Isn't she adorable?


Me with my new niece (and my relatively new hair).


Claire with her Daddy!


With her Grandma...


And her Grandpa...


With Mommy...


With Mom and Aunt Emily...


The new family!


It has been a very happy time for my family, and the bonus is that I'm feeling pretty good right now.  I still have some fatigue, and last week I was battling some mouth issues.  I had a kind of "cotton mouth" feeling and my food just didn't taste very good as a result.  Chemo can cause dry mouth, which can lead to mouth sores.  I think I had the dry mouth but without the sores (luckily). 

Unfortunately, it didn't stop me from eating - on the contrary, it actually made me eat more because I kept looking for something that tasted good.  Ice cream was the only thing that tasted good, but even that was just temporary.

Luckily though, it cleared up in a couple days and I'm back on the healthy eating bandwagon!

4 comments:

  1. Claire is absolutely beautiful and perfect, just like you were and ARE!!! Glad this happy time came now for everyone. The Lord has blessed us this "Easter" season...pun intended!!! Love, Great Aunt Patti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Biotene can help w/ dry mouth. it's like another version of listerine only w/out alcohol. Caries are more succeptible w/ dry mouths.. Or Crest Pro Health. But Biotene is specifically for patients on meds that cause cotton mouth. I'll see you soon now that we have a new niece..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow-I can imagine that everyone in your family's really excited about the baby! And Sara and Kevin look like natural parents the way they hold her...I need some lessons for next month!

    Ice cream is the remedy for all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want an "It's a Boob" balloon I will find it! :-)
    It was great to see you this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete